Several years ago my family ate a vegan diet for twelve months. It was a good run, but ultimately we lacked the know-how to make it a permanent lifestyle. Having tried it before, I know there's more to consider than simply foregoing animal products: What are my new diet staples? I'm used to accenting all my dinners with meat - what now? I can only eat so much tofu and tempeh. Will I be satiated? What about eating out, and with family?
We shared a beautiful vegan potluck meal last week with some vegan-eating friends. The food was excellent, and I was able to garner a few tricks of the trade:
- Beans, beans, and more beans! bluezones.com/2016/06/10-things-about-beans/
- Plan on eating more often - a smoothie after dinner, for example.
- Think Fat when it comes to satiety. We need to incorporate good fats, like avocado, nuts.
- Accent your veggie stir fry with cashews. Or use almond butter as a sauce.
- May need to supplement B12, perhaps Vit D and Iodine. (Will have to explore this more).
Here's what we're making today. Let's do a double-batch; freeze half for a future day: