In an earlier post, I wrote about my Spring Cleanse, started over one month ago. I'm consuming as much as I want of only the following: fresh fruit and veg juices, whole fresh fruit, fruit/veg smoothies, veggie stir fries and home made veggie soups and stews, along with brown rice and legumes. Friends, I'm so excited about the detoxification I'm experiencing! I didn't expect it; it wasn't my goal. I simply planned to eat cleanly for a while.
Given the right circumstances, however (such as a clean, whole foods diet), the Body will purge itself of accumulated toxins. And though it's a wonderfully awesome health experience, Detox is neither pretty, nor comfortable. Take a look at the rashes I developed over a week ago.
- Exposure to heavy metals like mercury and lead, petrochemicals, residues, pesticides, and fertilizers.
- Food allergies, environmental allergies, molds, and toxins from molds.
- Eating a standard American diet.
- Mental, emotional, and spiritual toxins — isolation, loneliness, anger, jealousy, and hostility, all of which translate into toxins in our system.
- Medications can sometimes be toxins. Often we need medications, but the reality is that most of us are overmedicated and use medications to treat problems for which there are better solutions, such as lifestyle and diet.
- Internal toxins–things like bacteria, fungus, and yeast inside our gut as well as hormonal and metabolic toxins that we need to eliminate.
The rashes have been incredibly itchy, not to mention unsightly. (Interestingly, after applying raw coconut oil, the rashes began to resolve. As you know, oil pulling is extremely popular at the moment and though I personally experienced no results from my brief oil pulling trial, I'm impressed and intrigued with its effect on the rashes).
I plan to continue eating this way for a while and promise to keep you updated. In the meantime, I'd love love love to hear about your Detox experiences. What were your symptoms? How long did they last? How did you feel afterward?